Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cure For Boredom?

Written By: Sean
Coming back from a sudden break in writing, I’m returning this week with something a little different than what I usually do. Shifting my sights from music, today’s article will focus on what most people cruising the internet for hours are dying for, entertainment. If you, like myself, find yourself sitting in front of a computer for unhealthy amounts of time, surfing from website to website trying to find something interesting then you’ll LOVE this little gem I found.

Recommended by a friend I found StumbleUpon, a free internet browser add-on that recommends pages to visit based on interests with great accuracy. Once signed up you get a huge checklist that’s got a bunch of different fields of interest. One thing I liked is that instead of being limited to what I expected to be; a typically small list, I had options like satire, anime, cats, sociology, paranormal, anarchism, photography and etc. Those choices might sound boring to you but the selection is vast.

Once you check your interests you’re good to go! The science of this add-on is that it uses peer evaluation and ratings to direct you to websites that other people with the same interests, as you found really interesting. You can give any page you visit a thumbs up or thumbs down and you can share your finds through linked facebook and twitter accounts. I’ve only had this add-on for a couple days and I’m already in love with it. I highly suggest you try it out for yourself. Here are some interesting links I StumbledUpon using the add-on.

www.tooncrisis.com - A very interesting first person shooter game that uses real world camera footage and adds little monsters into it that attack you. Features music by Gogol Bordello which was a plus.

www.younggalleryphoto.com - Breathtaking photos from Africa. Cliché I know but definitely some must see shots!

www.grotrian.de - An extremely interesting piano synthesizer based off mouse clicks and bouncing objects off the walls. Had a lot of fun with this one.

www.abcb.com - Anyone who loves anime will love this.

www.spreeder.com- Teach yourself how to speed read. It’s kind of been working for me.

You can download the add-on for yourself Here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment